Thursday, May 24, 2007

Parent-Teacher Conference

Since I started my new(er) job 10 weeks ago, Chris has taken over all daycare responsibilities (besides the occasional, and oh-so-helpful, afternoon Honey pick-up). He drops Ava off in the morning, relays any important messages to the staff and picks her up in the afternoons. Here’s a little background: During the past month Ava has been transitioning to the bigger kid room. Well, she has officially made the transition – Monday was her first full day in that room! Rest assured it has been much harder on us than it has been on her. Regardless, Ava has a new caregiver…Chris had the pleasure of meeting her, but I had not. I worked from home yesterday, due to the nasty daycare bug that I caught, so I took the opportunity to visit daycare and also bring Ava to the doctor (she also has the bug). So, I guess it was my first parent-teacher conference, eh? We discussed her recent transition into the room, what she’s learning and we shared concerns. Sounds like a parent-teacher conference to me…

I learned that Ava handled the transition very well. It helped that her good friend, who is 1.5 months older than Ava, made the transition a couple months prior so Ava had a buddy going in. She has adjusted well to sleeping on the floor (mat/sleeping bag actually). Ava has also been enjoying the playground. Apparently I’m the only Mom who sends her child with a sun hat and sun block. They informed me that “we keep the hat on her for as long as it will stay on.” After Ava takes it off her good friend is right behind her putting it back on – they’re like a couple old ladies I tell ya! She sings songs – “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes”, “Itsy Bitsy Spider” and “If You’re Happy and You Know It” are among her favorites. She LOVES the animal book. Ava also likes to climb (we recently learned this as well) and she’s known as the classroom greeter; she enthusiastically says “Hi!” to anyone who comes within a 15 yard radius of the room. She’s also very clean; she holds her hands out to be washed if they get dirty. They summed her up as “independent” and I think they were being polite…

At home we’re starting to work on manners – wipe your mouth, wash your hands, thank you, you’re welcome, please and politely asking for more food rather than slamming your hands on the table and screeching. At this point we’re not seeing much progress yet, sigh… She’s extraordinarily mobile and she KNOWS it. She prefers to walk now than to be carried. This is especially fun when trying to shop. We’re “those parents” now – you know, the ones you hear in the grocery store 4 aisles down and then smile at empathetically (or roll your eyes at if you’re child-less) while quickly passing – yeah, that’s us. I understand it’s only going to get worse too.

Ava loves to be outside. She enjoys flowers, trees and birds. After her doctor visit yesterday we sat outside for a bit and played in the dirt – pics are below. Yes, there’s still a tag on her hat because I’d just purchased it at Target and we were trying it on for size. Despite her fierce independence, she’s the sweetest most loveable human being and we’re simply madly in love with her. She’s so smart too – she knows so much that I think we’re just beginning to catch on to the half of it – scary.

Grandparents, regarding the doc visit – she’s fine. She’s on antibiotics now to try to clear up the green boogies. No idea what the problem is since she doesn’t have a fever or any other symptoms so they’re just going to clear it up, hopefully, with antibiotics.

And if you’ve read this far, I’ll continue with a general update! As aforementioned, I’m in my 10th week at work and I do believe that I got my first placed candidate today! He verbally accepted an offer, but I’m not celebrating until he actually signs the paperwork. So yeah, it’s going well and I’m finding that I enjoy it quite a bit. Unfortunately, no real time for photography  I’m sad about that but I’m hopeful that it will turn around soon since we’re getting good and settled in the house. Speaking of which, it’s coming along beautifully! We really like it here! We have a lot of stuff to do still, but all in all it’s pretty spiffy already. Come visit!! Chris is dandy – the work commute is starting to get the better of him, but we were expecting that. He’s trying to make all those important career/life/education decisions now. I think he’s leaning toward going back to school for his MBA. We’re just trying to figure out how we’re going to juggle that between a child, a house, my busy work schedule and his full-time job. But hey, it’s been done before and it’s only going to get more complicated as time goes by, right? Aspen is well also. She definitely misses Honey and Papa Bear but she likes walking around the new neighborhood.

And if you’ve made it THIS far, well, then you should treat yourself to some ice cream! I thought we were due for a solid update. Hope you enjoyed and hope everyone is happy and healthy! Drop us a line and let us know how you’re doing.







4 comments:

Mindy said...

wow What a cunning little girl you have growing there ... Glad to heare things are going well.

did you check out my blog. updated. you should add me to your visit list

Courtney said...

well i made it through the whole post, go me! anywho glad to see you guys are doing great and ava looks adorable as usual, she is getting so big! hope you feel better soon :)

Lindsey Fescoe said...

Thanks for the update, I'm glad everything is going well for you guys. Such cute pics too, Ava is beautiful!!

Kyle said...

Now I know that crooked smile runs in the family ;). Looks like everything is going well, Ava is getting so big. You'll figure a way to balance it.